[PhD, MSc, Author, Journalist]
- Simon Olling Rebsdorf (b. Odense, Ansgar’s Parish, 1971).
- Living in Hald Ege, Denmark.
- My congenial wife, Charlotte, and our cherubs, Dirch and Vigga, are my soul travelling companions.
An over-inflated narcissist, curious and passionate, I enjoy creating stuff. Trying to stay open-minded, I insist on an explorative attitude to life and work.
Author of academic books on the development of modern astrophysics, on the concept of creativity as well as numerous peer-reviewed articles in scientific journals on topics such as higher science education and didactics, histories of physics and astronomy, organic food systems, potential paradigms/heterodox theories, and the concept of time.
Current position: ESERO Denmark Manager and project manager at the House of Natural Sciences. Working professionally for increasing the scientific literacy as well as the interest and motivation for science and technology has been guiding my career choices.
Previously, I have worked as Publishing Editor at Aarhus University Press, administrative head of a university pedagogy unit of higher science education at Aarhus University, postdoctoral fellow at Science and Technology, Aarhus University and Chicago University, high school physics teacher at Mercantec, information specialist at the International Centre for Research in Organic Farming – among other positions.
One result of the PhD was a monograph on the development of modern astronomy.
- Author – some books and papers (publications)
- Performing musician – musician in Pernille Dahl Trio (upright and electric bass)
- Music composition
- History of science and technology devotee
- Science communication enthusiast
- Armchair philosopher – in particular the phenomenon of time (it’s perception, physic, and experience), perception and neural predictive processing, the hard problem of consciousness, mind and body, science and religion, fate and free will, brain-machine interface(s), artificial intelligence, and not least long-term thinking.
- Math and physics geek – number theory, topology, Einstein’s field equations, spacetime as a manyfold, gravitation, …
- Book aesthete – reading before writing is difficult to practice in a digitized world
- I love puzzles and logical and creative riddles
- Handyman – I like wood building – but shouldn’t do it for a living
Introduction to Philosophy by The University of Edinburgh (Coursera). Certificate earned at Tuesday, December 11, 2018 – get certificate .
Philosophy and the Sciences: Introduction to the Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences by the University of Edinburgh (Coursera). Certificate earned at January 28, 2019 – get certificate.
- Jury Member, Young Researchers, 2013
- Special consideration for position of trusts, September 2011, Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Fisheries
- The Faculty of Science Research Fellowship, March 2003-August 2004, Aarhus University.
- The Carlsberg Foundation Research Fellowship, September 2001-February 2003.
- The unexamined life isn’t worth living /Socrates
- If you judge, investigate /Seneca
- Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory/Franklin Pierce Adams
- Superstition brings bad luck /Umberto Eco [R. Smullyan in 5000 BC, 1984]
- In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice.. /Unknown
- Vice Chairman of the Board, Hald Ege Høj, Fri- og Efterskole, June 2019- (Board Member since May 2018)
- Member of the Danish Society for the History of Technology, 2017-
- Marquis Who’s Who in America listee – inclusion since June 20, 2019
- Danish Humanist Society, working for a society in which every view of life is equal, 2018-
- European Space Agency Advisory Committee on Education
- The Planetary Society, 2019-
- The Long Now Foundation, fostering long-term thinking, 2018-
- Hald Sø Boat’s Guild
- Winter Bather’s Guild at Hald Sø.